Saturday, January 2, 2010

Silk Painting

Last trimester I taught a silk painting class for 1st-3rd graders. We learned about the life cycle of the silk worm, the process from worm to fabric, and complementary colors; we used a salt technique and a water-based resist; we read legends from the Silk Road. When I was creating examples, I painted - what else? - artichokes.

Dylan was watching me one afternoon, prepping for class, while I was painting an artichoke and asked, "Mommy, what are you doing?"

I answered that I was getting ready for my silk painting class.

He nodded his head, "I get it. You're teaching a class about artichokes."

No, maybe that will be another trimester.



Here are some of the pieces the kids did - on display at the reception and exhibit we held on the last day of class. They did a great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment